McGill-UdeM Piano-Vocal Accompaniment Residency
This brand new residency, a one-of-a-kind high-level program, is intended for advanced pianists specializing in the field of vocal arts.
Under the co-direction of Michael McMahon (Schulich School of Music, McGill University), Francis Perron (Université de Montréal Faculty of Music), and coordination of Pierre-André Doucet, the six pianists chosen for this residency will immerse themselves in the recital and opera repertoire, in addition to developing their skills as accompanists and vocal coaches.
This intensive nine-month program runs from September to May.
Generous financial support
Thanks to an extraordinary philanthropic commitment, all the candidates accepted into the McGill-UdeM Piano-Vocal Accompaniment Residency will receive a full scholarship and a living allowance.
Two exceptional music institutions
The only one of its kind, the McGill-UdeM Piano-Vocal Accompaniment Residency offers students the possibility of advancing simultaneously at two exceptional academic institutions providing music education:
- The Université de Montréal Faculty of Music
- Schulich School of Music, McGill University
Located in the heart of Montréal, the two universities will soon be linked by the Réseau express métropolitain (rapid transit system).
Outstanding guest artists
So as to cover a broad range of specializations, styles and repertoire, the McGill-UdeM Piano-Vocal Accompaniment Residency will provide students the opportunity of progressing in the company of major international artists and experts:
- Vocal artists
- Pianists and piano accompanists
- Specialists in lyric diction
- Specialists in literary and historical performance
A pathway that nurtures career development
In the framework of the residency, financial support is offered to the six pianists selected so that they may participate in an approved internationally known workshop, academy or internship.
- Admission is open to candidates from Canada and abroad.
- Pianists holding a minimum of an undergraduate degree or the equivalent and having significant experience in vocal accompaniment are eligible.
To be considered for acceptance to the McGill-UdeM Piano–Vocal Accompaniment Residency, pianists must follow a three-step process:
1. Preliminary auditions
As a first step, applicants are obliged to send their video recordings by January 23, 2023, to program coordination: email@example.com
2. Final auditions
Results of the first round will be communicated the following week, after which, auditions in person (preferably) or online will be held in February (date to be announced shortly).
3. Application for admission
Candidates must also submit their application to the Faculty of Music in the Piano–Vocal Accompaniment Residency program before January 23,2023.
Particularities for the application
- When you submit your application, it is important to write “McGill-UdeM Piano-Vocal Accompaniment Residency” in the comment section.
- For administrative reasons, it is mandatory to submit a complete application to Université de Montréal and a complete application to McGill University.
- Students who hold a Master’s degree must register to the DEPA in Accompaniment.
- Students who hold a Bachelor’s degree must register to the DESS in Accompaniment.
The McGill-UdeM Piano-Vocal Accompaniment Residency is made possible thanks to an extraordinary philanthropic commitment.