Inaugurated in 1974, the teaching of instrumental composition offered at the Université de Montréal Faculty of Music is among the most distinguished in Canada. The focus of the program is on the acquisition of a true profession and the development of a strong, personal artistic voice, through both the wealth of the courses offered and the multiplicity of faculty members’ stylistic tendencies.
The team of teachers brings together top-level composers whose works are played around the world. The excellence of the teaching is paired with a profoundly human approach: all students are closely supervised, with clear delineations in their academic careers.
The Faculty of Music is also home to the Canada Research Chair in Opera Creation.
Rich and varied learning
Attentive to the evolution of trends and technologies and mindful of the practical experience that needs to accompany any training, the instrumental composition programs offer their students dynamic, complementary activitie
- Score reading by the Nouvel Ensemble Moderne, in residence at the Faculty of Music
- Premiere of works by the Ensemble de musique contemporaine and by the Orchestre de l’Université de Montréal
- Learning of software tools that aid in Computer-assisted composition (CAC)
- Residencies in faculty instrumental ensembles or ensembles in residence, including Sixtrum
Collaborations bringing together several artistic disciplines
Committed to offering a professionalizing experience grounded in the reality of today’s music community, the Faculty has established unique partnerships in North America:
- Collaboration with the National Theatre School of Canada as well as with the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and the Faculty of Environmental Design for an interdisciplinary artistic project in opera creation offered at Université de Montréal
- Collaboration with the École de danse contemporaine de Montréal for the production of events integrating choreographies set to music composed by our students
Opera creation: an unparalleled interdisciplinary and interfaculty project
This innovative academic undertaking invites students to enroll in a participatory and collaborative experiential learning space that integrates perspectives from different areas of study. Université de Montréal offers in this context interdisciplinary seminars carefully coordinated to lead to the creation of mini-operas that will be staged and performed by Faculty of Music students.
This project is being carried out in collaboration with the National Theatre School of Canada as well as with the Université de Montréal’s Faculty of Arts and Sciences and Faculty of Environmental Design
Related study programs:
Baccalauréat en musique – Composition
Baccalauréat en musique - Composition instrumentale
Maîtrise en musique, option Composition et création sonore
Maîtrise en musique, option composition pour l'écran
DEPA en musique – Composition pour l'écran et la scène
Doctorat en musique
Doctorat en musique, option Composition et création sonore